Cauliflower is one of the most approachable, vegetables on the shelf and in most cases the plate. Broccoli’s first cousin may not contain the same flavors but has robust features of its own that make it worthy of center stage in a meal for vegans and meat-eaters alike. cauliflower has a great texture that holds up to almost any cooking method; boiling, roasting, sauteing, deep-frying just name a few! so when I thought of what vegetable to use for this dish this beauty was a no-brainer.
Cauliflower’s mild taste absorbs southwest flavors of taco seasoning very well. In fact, you’ll find that the methods cooking for this dish almost mirror that of a dish with meat! You’ll build upon flavors in the bowl that in the end, you still get a bold bite with plenty of texture from the black beans, crispy onions, pepitas and guacamole (optional) the idea isn’t to fool someone who’s team-beef/chicken only. But to create a “common-ground (or bowl, get it?)” for both sides. I encourage you to experiment with cauliflower in other tex-mex recipes see: loaded vegan tostadas recipe or in pasta, rice dishes, sheet tray meals and more.
Cauliflower Burrito Bowls
- medium saucepan
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
Cauliflower Taco Filling
- 1 head cauliflower cut into florets
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ⅓ cup water or vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp taco seasoning
- tt salt and pepper
- 2 14oz cans black beans rinsed and drained
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- ½ cup red onion diced
- ¼ cup red bell pepper diced
- ¼ cup celery diced
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp cilantro chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups water
- tt salt/pepper
- white rice cooked
- avocado diced
- pepitas, cilantro, lime wedges for garnish
- Prepare the black beans: bring a medium saucepan to medium-low heat. Add oil onions and garlic, and begin to sautee gently until vegetables begin to just sizzle about 1 minute.
- Add in celery and pepper, and stir gently prevent rapid burning. When vegetables are aromatic, add in cumin and stir to combine.
- Add in black beans water, cilantro, and bay leaf, and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low, cover and allow flavors to blend about 15 minutes.
- When black beans are finished, remove from heat. Remove bay leaf and season to taste. Keep warm until ready to serve.
- Prepare cauliflower taco filling: bring a sautee pan to medium-high heat. Add oil onions and minced garlic, and begin to sweat gently until vegetables are translucent.
- Add cauliflower to the pan and fold to incorporate. Pour water/vegetable stock over cauliflower. Reduce heat to medium-low, and cover to steam until cauliflower is tender.
- After steaming, gently fold taco seasoning, into cauliflower mixture. Adjust salt to taste. Remove from heat and serve immediately.
- For assembly: divide cooked white rice into bowls and top with cauliflower and black beans. Add desired toppings, such as salsa, lime, pepitas, cilantro, etc. Serve immediately.