Many of my recipe concepts are inspired by memories, family or specific ingredients, food genres. this recipe in inspired by my uncle arthur. uncle arthur is what you call a “closet cook”. during my childhood we would marvel at his specials: stuffed portobello mushrooms, chicken marsala pasta and more. they were (and still are) the types of plates you’d find at an upscale bistro today. you would’t get it often, but when you did it was a treat.
Grilled Salmon Tacos with Mango Salsa
- Small and Medium Mixing Bowl
- Medium Sized Pan
- 1.2 lb salmon cut lengthwise into 3 oz filets
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 6 corn tortillas
- 1 cup black beans cooked (optional)
- 6 romaine lettuce leaves
- cilantro sprigsv
- oil for grill
- 2 mangos peeled and dicedv
- 1/3 cup red onion minced
- 1/3 cup cilantro chopped
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- juice of 1 lime
- salt and pepper tt
- To make mango salsa, combine mango, red onion, cilantro and remaining ingredients in a medium mixing bowl. Fold ingredients together to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate until ready to assemble tacos.
- To prepare tacos, combine soy sauce, garlic and maple syrup/honey in a small mixing bowl. Stir until incorporated. Pour marinade on salmon fillets and marinade under refrigeration for 30 minutes, up to overnight.
- Prepare grill by setting to medium-high heat. Lightly brush grates with oil to prevent sticking. after marinading, transfer salmon fillets to grill top side down. Grill until bottom of fillets begin to turn an opaque color, about 2-3 minutes. Use a spatula to gently flip fillets. Repeat the grilling process for another 2-3 minutes, or until cooked thoroughly. Promptly remove salmon fillets and transfer to a heat safe platter after grilling to prevent overcooking.
- Meanwhile, warm tortillas. Bring a medium sized pan to low heat. Heat each tortilla by transferring to the pan one a a time until heated through. Cover heated tortillas with a towel to prevent drying out.
- To assemble tacos, place 1 romaine lettuce leaf atop each tortilla. Add a spoonful of black beans to each taco then top with one salmon fillet. Spoon mango salsa atop each taco and garnish with cilantro sprigs. Serve immediately.