All you need is instant espresso to try the coffee trend that’s currently breaking the internet.
original to korea has swept across tiktok and now taken the internet by storm. the best way to describe the drink is a reverse latte, where the foam is the coffee instead of the milk. you can now find many versions of dalgona including matcha, turmeric lattes, and some herbal coffee alternatives.
i came across the trend while mindlessly scrolling on my phone during the quarantine. knowing that all the ingredients in my pantry, i hopped up and decided to give it a try. if you’re an avid coffee drinker you probably have all the ingredients you need on hand too! all you need are 3 ingredients to make your whip:
Instant coffee or espresso, sugar, and water (big yay for 5 ingredient or fewer recipes). from that base, you can tweak the amount of sugar you’d like. I found that the 1:1:1 ratio worked out just fine for my taste. Keep in mind that manipulating the amount of sugar or water you add will alter the color and fluffiness of your final coffee peaks. I found that less water made darker, stiffer peaks, while more sugar made it glossier and (obviously) sweeter.
If you’ve made meringue before, this will be a breeze. Bonus points if you’ve made meringue by hand (hello arm workout)! Hand mixer or not, getting your dalgona coffee to whip is very easy and doesn’t take much time at all. From initial assembly to final pour takes about 7 minutes tops, so your arms will be safe!
While i was building my dalgona, my husband decided to slip some irish cream into the milk. We had not one complaint here, so I added to the recipe for you to try as well. Feel free to use any liqueur you’d like to change up the flavor, or have it as is!
If you try this recipe, be sure to check back in here with a comment or tag me as @beyondafoodie across social, I’d love to see how yours turns out!
Irish Creme Dalgona Coffee
- 3 tbsp instant espresso or coffee powder
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 3 tbsp hot water
- 18 oz milk of choice
- 3 oz irish cream (optional)
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine sugar, instant espresso/coffee, and water. Immediately after pouring into the bowl, use a whisk (or whisk attachment of a hand mixer) to whip the coffee until it begins to lighten in color.
- Continue to whisk until the coffee reaches the consistency of still peaks (like meringue). Set aside and prepare your cups for serving. Add ice to three cups or glasses.
- Add equal amounts of milk to each glass, then add 1 oz of irish cream to each cup or glass.
- Lastly, use a spoon or small spatula to divide the whipped coffee mixture atop each glass. Serve immediately.