All about Earl Grey
Of all the coffee and tea drinks, london fog lattés are my favorite go-to tea drink for the changing weather here in chicago. London fogs are so near and dear, that i even created a beauty product based on the fragrant flavors. London fogs get their name from the british classic earl grey tea, mixed with a touch of cream.
This strong black tea is infused with the oils/rinds of citrus fruit bergamot. It is said that this was accidentally discovered centuries ago, during the tea trade, when the earl of grey sampled black tea that was packed and shipped with bergamot fruit from india. The tea had such a distinct flavor, that it was donned earl grey tea!
Make this recipe for a classic coffee latte alternative, or try with your favorite scone for a real english afternoon tea experience.
Tips for a better cup
Don’t skip out infusing your tea for the full amount of time before adding the hot milk. Fat from the cream inhibits the infusion process.
The addition of vanilla and lavender accent the distinctive bergamot flavor while boosting the richness of the cream. If you are using plant-based milk for this recipe, opt for richer milk, like cashew or coconut.
I’ve decided to use david’s tea earl grey creme as my loose-leaf tea of choice, but any loose leaf earl grey will do. if you do not have tea infusers, check out these handy t-sac biodegradable tea bags. They or perfect for making tea bags out of your own loose leaf tea.
London Fog Latte
- 2-3 tsp lose leaf earl grey tea
- 8 oz water boiling
- 4 oz half and half or plant based milk
- 1/8 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp agave syrup (optional)
- Place tea in a tea bag or tea infuser and place in a 12 oz cup. Pour hot water atop tea bag_infuser and let steep for 6-8 minutes. Meanwhile, combine cream_plant based milk and vanilla extract. Steam until frothy.
- If you do not have a milk steamer, gently heat milk on stove top and whisk vigorously until a foam forms. Do not boil. remove from heat.
- Add agave syrup to tea and stir to combine. Pour vanilla infused milk in the cup of tea. Top with lavender buds and serve immediately.