A portion-packed breakfast that is perfect for post-workout or brunch, you decide! A classic diner-inspired favorite that’s adorned with a variety of vegetables that you can interchange as you please.
This recipe was developed while working on low carb breakfast Ideas for my sister. Our inspiration was a diner skillet with hash, scrambled eggs veggies and cheese. This version is keto, paleo and whole 30 friendly and goes from pan to plate in under 15 minutes. If you’ve read the [fall vegetable hash](http://beyondafoodie.com/feed/fall-vegetable-hash) recipe, you know sweet potatoes are a great alternative to regular russet hash browns. dicing up your meat/veg around the same size keeps the ingredients.
From there, a rainbow of vegetables including broccoli, sweet peppers, onions, celery accent the plate. This combo of veggies is packed with vitamins a, c as well as calcium and fiber. I opted for smoked beef sausage over pork because it has a bit less fat and sodium over pork. However, you can build flavors with as many vegetables and proteins as you’d like. Kale, spinach, red onion, peas, asparagus are great options as well.
This recipe is meal prep worthy, as you can dice all of your ingredients up to 5 days in advance and sauté up when you’re ready to eat (cue: brunch)! Save even more time in the am, by par-boiling your potatoes for 10-12 minutes, draining and cooling for future use.
There are no complications to this sauté. The idea is to build everything in one pan by starting with your proteins, hash, then moving to one side. Then cook vegetables on the other side of the pan. Boom, you’ve become a pro breakfast cook. Simply top with your choice of eggs ( that you make on the side) and top with your garnish.
Mixed Vegetable and Sausage Scramble
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 12 oz beef smoked sausage diced
- 2 medium sweet potatoes diced
- 1 medium onion small diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1.5 cup broccoli cut into 1-inch florets
- 3 stalks celery diced
- 2 scallions sliced
- 8 eggs
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- tt salt and pepper
- ¼ cup shaved parmesan for garnish
- Prep the potatoes. In a medium saucepan, add diced potatoes and cover with water. Bring water to a boil and cook potatoes until they are slightly soft, but not mushy, about 10-12 minutes. Drain sweet potatoes and set aside. if prepping potatoes in advance cool for future use.
- Place a large sauté pan on medium heat add half tbsp of oil, add sausage and potatoes. Allow cooking on one side until the edges of the sausage/potatoes begin to brown, about 3 minutes. Using a spatula, gently flip the sausage and potatoes to one side of the pan.
- Add remaining oil to the pan, and turn heat to medium-high. Add onion, bell pepper, celery and broccoli to the free side of the pan. Sauté until vegetables begin to brown, moving to prevent burning, about 3 minutes. Gently fold the sausage, potatoes, and vegetables together and season with paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Allow hash to cook for another 1-2 minutes, to allow flavors to meld. Meanwhile cook eggs to preference.
- Adjust seasoning of hash and transfer to serving platter or bowls. Top with eggs, and garnish with scallions and parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.