Got overripe bananas? This quick recipe is done in under an hour, uses minimal flour and is refined sugar-free. Making it the perfect addition to your next healthy-ish breakfast
Over ripened bananas are usually donated to the smoothie bank in my house. This particular week i was craving some old fashioned banana bread. this is the perfect “lazy bake” recipe for people who want the results of a delicious quick bread, but don’t have the time, let less the energy. bonus: it’s refined sugar free (to make dairy free swap out butter for a neutral oil). The minimal flour and maple syrup make for a moist dense dough, that tastes rich and indulgent. A slice could definitely pass a dessert with a cup of tea, or a healthyish snack for kids.
No need to pull out the mixer! Mash your bananas in a medium sized mixing bowl and simply add your wet ingredients, then the dry. Boom, you’re saving time on dishes too!
As with any quickbread or muffin recipe; be careful not to over mix your batter, as it will make your final product tougher. Simply fold the final ingredients for the bread until the batter is just moistened. At this point, you can fold in your mix-ins and you’re ready to bake. If you’re not into nuts, omit them or swap them for another type, add dried cherries or pineapple, shaved coconut, white chocolate, whatever makes you happy!
Be sure to line your loaf pan with parchment paper, or spray with a non stick spray for easy cooling and cleanup!
To make muffins: reduce oven to 350°, line a muffin pan with liner cups, bake for 15-20 minutes until toothpick comes out clean in the center.
If you give this recipe a try, be sure to leave a comment or tag me with #beyondafoodie !
Banana Chip Bread
- 1 Loaf Pan
- Parchment Paper
- 1 large bowl
- 1/2 c all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 ripe bananas mashed
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 c butter melted
- 1/2 c chocolate chips
- 1/2 c nuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. lightly grease a loaf pan and line with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix together 1/2 cups flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt and cinnamon. in another bowl, beat together mashed bananas, sugar, egg and melted butter.
- Stir the banana mixture into the flour mixture just until moistened. Fold in chocolate chips and nuts (if using). Spoon batter into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 25-30 min or until toothpick in the center comes out clean.
- Move to a cooling rack to let cool before slicing. Store in an airtight container. Consume or freeze within 5 days of baking.