There are a sea of hashtag holidays out there in the “socialverse” besides the obvious national donut, cookie, and coffee day. I’m pretty sure there’s a national whipped cream day, national dye your drink pink day and national chocolate covered caramel with pretzel crunch (disclaimer: I don’t know if these actually exist). Team baf doesn’t know who came up with all these holidays, but why not make the best of them!
Today i’m sharing my korean inspired beef taco recipe in honor of national taco day. I put an emphasis on the inspired, because they are no way authentic korean but definitely tips a hat of appreciation towards traditional korean bulgogi, a slightly sweet tender grilled beef dish. For this recipe, it is best made with razor-thin cut sirloin, but ground chuck will do in a pinch. Prep time is very minimal and only requires a few ingredients! Topping the finished tortilla with cilantro, cabbage and green onion make for an amazing bite of freshness to balance the forward flavor of the beef.
Swap out tortillas for lettuce cups for a lower carb option.
Korean Inspired Beef Tacos
- Large Mixing Bowl
- small mixing bowl
- heavy bottomed sauté pan
- 2 lb shaved beef sirloin or ground chuck
- 1 large onion minced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 tbsp ginger minced
- 1/2 c reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 c brown sugar
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- tt salt and pepper
- 8 tortillas or lettuce wraps
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds (optional)
- shaved cabbage
- cilantro sprigs
- sliced scallions
- lime slices
- Transfer beef and onion to a large mixing bowl and mix to combine. Set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine soy sauce, brown sugar garlic and ginger. Stir to dissolve sugar.
- Bring a heavy bottomed sauté pan to medium high heat. Add sesame oil to pan to heat. Add beef and onion mixture and sauté until meat has begun to brown. Work in batches if needed to discourage “steaming” of your beef.
- After browning, pour liquid mixture into the pan. If working in batches, add the other browned beef and gently fold to incorporate sauce into the mixture. Reduce to medium-low heat and allow the sauce to reduce, about 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat after reduction has completed. Top with sesame seeds and scallions. Immediately serve by dividing beef mixture into tortillas or lettuce wraps. top with cilantro, cabbage and extra scallions and a squeeze of lime juice. Enjoy with pickled vegetables and rice.