All the delicious warm flavors of French toast in an easy-to-make oven ready dish. French toast bake is perfect for weekends, brunch and entertaining friends.
A few years ago this became one my moms signature dishes for when she has all of her kids, grandkids over for the weekend. She always preps her bake with fluffy brioche tons of butter, brown sugar and pecans for crunch. The next morning, it goes in the oven and fills the air with sweetness, which makes us anticipate tearing it apart even more! Of course, my recipe isn’t as good as hers, but I managed to make it my own.
The beauty of French toast, is that you can use any fruits and nuts you would like to fit your tastes. Add raisins, cherries, nuts, nutella, berries or even cream cheese to the layers of your bake. There are tons of flavor combinations to make this your signature French toast recipe.
Meal prep tips
Make the night before up to two days before for morning brunch prep.
Maple Brown Sugar French Toast Bake
- Parchment Paper
- Mixing Bowl
- Baking Pan
- 1 loaf Artisan Bread
- 1 stick Butter
- 4 Eggs Beaten
- 3/4 cups Brown Sugar
- 2 cups Milk of choice
- 2 cups Heavy Cream
- 1/3 cup Maple Syrup
- 1/4 tsp Allspice
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
Cranberries and sugar for topping, or pecans
- Line a 13” x 9” pan with parchment paper. Shingle loaf of bread into the pan, making sure each piece is layered evenly. Set aside
- In a medium mixing bowl, fold all ingredients except cranberries and sugar. Whisk to combine. Butter may separate into flakes, but this is fine.
- Pour the custard mixture over the bread evenly and cover it with plastic wrap. Transfer the pan to the fridge to allow the bread to absorb the custard. Leave under refrigeration for at least an hour up to overnight.
- To bake, preheat the oven to 375. Remove the pan from the refrigerator and uncover it. Sprinkle cranberries atop the bread followed by the sugar and nuts if using. Cover with foil.
- Place the bake in the oven covered for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes until golden. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving.
- To serve, cut into 8 large portions or 12 medium portions. Top with maple syrup if desired.