If you’re a fan of thai food, this is a staple you’ll love to have in your collection. Use simple and fresh ingredients to put together a soup that’s perfect for any season. Bonus: I love to eat it when experiencing a cold, as the chilis and ginger are great for cleaning your sinuses. With that being said, this is a spicy soup!!! The coconut milk mellows out the heat of the red curry paste without completely taking away the heat. If you’d like a milder soup, I recommend removing the seeds and membrane from your thai chilis or only using de-seeded red jalapeño instead of thai chili and sambal olek paste.
Noodle Me Baby
Though any asian style noodle is okay for this recipe, rice noodles are recommended. Rice noodles are more common in thai cooking, and they create a light chew that’s perfect for this soup. Thai rice noodles can be found at any asian grocery store or online. I have provided an amazon link below for thai noodles under $4!
Prep your Paste
You must prepare the red curry paste before proceeding with the soup recipe. The further prepped in advance the better the flavor. Refrigerate for storage and use the paste for this soup, in sauces or as a marinade. Using vegetable stock makes this recipe completely vegan, though adding chicken or shrimp would befit the flavors of this soup! Switch out the veggies, fresh herbs and toppings as you’d like to customize your soup.
Red Thai Curry Noodle Soup
Red Curry Paste
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 2 inch piece fresh ginger
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and chopped
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 thai red chilis or 1 red jalapeño
- 2 tbsp harissa chili paste
Red Curry Soup
- 1/4 c red curry paste
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 2 c broccoli cut into florets
- 10 oz can heart of palm drained
- 1 12 oz can full fat coconut milk
- 1.5 (6 cups) quarts vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 12 oz package rice noodles cooked according to manufactures directions
- tt salt
- 1 jalapeño thinly sliced (optional)
- 1/2 c basil chopped
- 1/2 c cilantro chopped
- 1/2 c mint chopped (optional)
- lime wedges for garnish
Red Curry Paste
- Combine all ingredients and puree in a blender or food processor until mixture resembles a thick paste. Store in a lidded jar for future use.
Red Curry Noodle Soup
- In heavy bottomed 4 quart saucepan, add oil and bring to medium heat. Add red curry paste and sauté until paste begins to simmer, about 1 minute. Add onions and sweat until translucent.
- Next add vegetable/chicken broth and bring to medium-low heat. Add heart of palm, broccoli cover and continue to simmer to allow flavors to develop, and broccoli to cook, about 10-12 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and add noodles. Allow noodles to heat through, about 2 minutes. Remove pot from heat, sir in coconut milk. Add in jalapeño, basil, cilantro and mint. Serve immediately in large bowls and top with extra jalapeños, herbs and lime wedges.